Director of Education
sean (at) sierranevadajourneys (dot) org
Sean grew up in Colorado where he fell in love with the mountains. After working in a dendrochronology (tree-ring) lab in college, he began his teaching career in a windowless classroom in Houston, TX, with Teach for America. He found a new passion in working with youth and after seeing first-hand the benefits of taking his students outside to learn, Sean entered the informal science education field as a Graduate Fellow for the Walking Mountains Science School in Avon, Colorado.
Sean has a MS Degree from Colorado State University and a BS in Environmental Biology from Montana State University and has been overseeing educational projects for Sierra Nevada Journeys since 2009.
State of Nevada Teaching License, Secondary, Biological Sciences
- Informal STEM Learning Environments Subcommittee (Nevada STEM Advisory Council, Governor's Office)
- One Truckee River – Education Committee
- Carson Water Subconservancy District – Education Committee
- Project Learning Tree – Nevada State Coordinator
- Nevada Mining Association – Education Committee
- Lemelson STEM Academy – STEM Advisory Committee
- Association for General Contractors – Education Committee
- Leadership in Evaluative Thinking Institute – Trainee
- Chief Operating Officers Forum – Member 2013-2015
- GREENevada – Member, Former Co-Chair