TMWA’s Smart About Water Day
Going Beyond the Snowpack to Understand Our Region’s Water System
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) invites you to attend the first-ever Smart About Water Day. This community event will provide insight into the projects, plans, and actions that contribute to the overall state of our water in the Truckee Meadows.
Smart About Water Day will be on Saturday, October 21 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Lazy 5 Regional Park in Spanish Springs. Drop in anytime. TMWA’s experts on water operations, resources and planning will be available to answer any questions you may have. In addition, representatives from Truckee Meadows Regional Planning Authority and Western Regional Water Commission will be available.
“As our region continues to grow, TMWA recognizes the need to bring topics surrounding our water resources directly to the community,” said Mark Foree, general manager of TMWA.
Here is what can be expected:
- The Big Picture: Gain an understanding of the fascinating dynamics that take place at the intersection of population growth, regional planning, and our water supply under the Truckee River Operating Agreement (TROA).
- Large Projects in 2018: Know what's coming up to ensure long-term water service reliability, including what might be in store for your neighborhood.
- From Surface to Ground: Examine approaches for aquifer recharge and the impact it has had on water table levels in 2017.
- New Uses for Recycled Water: Review ways to make the most of recycled water, including innovative research that is underway.
- For Inquisitive Minds: Listen to a series of topic presentations in an interactive, casual format. Subjects include: the Truckee River Operating Agreement—how it changes everything, the future of recycled water, how conjunctive use helps all area wells, and how growth and water are planned for in our community. There will also be two workshops on winterizing your home.
- For Outdoor Types: Take tree tours around the beautiful landscape at Lazy 5, and learn about caring for your trees now and throughout the winter.
- For the Kids: Bring the family for watershed education provided by Sierra Nevada Journeys, and take a break together at a conservation activity table.
- Tool of the Trade: The trucks and equipment that are building and repairing our water system infrastructure will be on display.
Join TMWA and get the facts you want to know about our water, direct from the people who know the most about it! Drop in anytime -- no reservations are required. More details on presentation topics and times will be added as we get closer to the event.