About Sierra Nevada Journeys
Sierra Nevada Journeys' founder, Jonathan Mueller, reflecting on the origins of Sierra Nevada Journeys. Since this video was recorded in 2011, Sierra Nevada Journeys continues to grow and honor Jonathan's vision for an inspired and engaged youth.
Our mission is to deliver innovative outdoor, science-based education programs for youth to develop critical thinking skills and to inspire natural resource stewardship.
To achieve our mission, Sierra Nevada Journeys offers a range of programs in northern California and Nevada:
- Our credentialed science teachers deliver innovative curriculum for 1st-6th graders, teaching in the classroom and leading 1-day field science expeditions in the Reno and Sacramento areas
- We host students and teachers for residential outdoor science learning programs at our 200-bed, modern outdoor science Grizzly Creek Ranch Campus
- We train teachers on engaging STEM lessons and outdoor learning for their classrooms
- We engage families to reinforce classroom concepts through our Family Science/STEM Nights
- We use weekends and summers to expand our reach beyond schools, working within our community to deliver campus-based summer camps, special needs camps, leadership development camps, and group and conference programs
Here at Sierra Nevada Journeys we believe that outdoor science education is not just a luxury but a necessity. Over 50 percent of the students we serve are from low-income families, and fundraising growth enables us to ensure accessibility to programs for under-served students across our region.